Call this rain?

Sunday, October 29, 2006

But the trains are fantastic

Given my earlier whinge about airlines, it is only fair that I say how fantastic the trains are. Earlier this week I went to see Professor Hibbard at the University of Oregon (about 500 miles down the coast). I went by train. They were fantastic. The cost was about 60 quid return, which is substantially less than the UK (unless you booked about 3 months advance at 2 o'clock in the morning on alternate Wednesdays). I took business class out as I intended to work on the train. But frankly the coach class I took back was as good as English First Class. You had in train movies if you wanted, AC power points for lap tops in Business and Coach. And the stations were something else. All polished wood and tile, beautifully clean and well cared-for.

I was massively impressed with Grand Central when I was in New York. My experience suggested that its elegance (if not its grandeur) is not so atypical.

For the record my meeting went well, and I continue to make pleasing progress. Eugene is an intriguing little town, and the University campus itself is a genuine delight.

3 Comments:

  • I read your Dad's blog, I really enjoy it.
    Try Jetblue airline. I arrived home last night from NYC, in a good mood (not normal for most flights!). It is FAB.
    It is perfect compared to the other airlines I've flown in the states. Steer clear of NorthWest, icky!
    We live in Charlottesville. If you need suggestions, not
    that we have a ton of answers, but we know a bit about the
    northeast.
    Good luck,
    Carlin C.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 PM  

  • I read your Dad's blog, I really enjoy it.
    Try Jetblue airline. I arrived home last night from NYC, in a good mood (not normal for most flights!). It is FAB.
    It is perfect compared to the other airlines I've flown in the states. Steer clear of NorthWest, icky!
    We live in Charlottesville. If you need suggestions, not
    that we have a ton of answers, but we know a bit about the
    northeast.
    Good luck,
    Carlin C.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 PM  

  • I did not intend to throw out two of the same comment.
    I think I have figured out you have some girls. Without
    knowing their ages (and if you don't have girls,stop reading now) take your wife to see "Little Miss Sunshine". It is not about money or power, like NYC or DC :) !, it is all about how perfect "imperfections" are!
    Also I love watching Gilmore Girls. Guys REALLY don't like it (my husband tells me it'll make men grow overies, so beware) but my daughter and I love the show, she asked me to watch it.I think your wife may enjoy it.Our tv stuff is way diff. from what I am used to watching across the pond. I find it amusing
    what most Americans feel the need to censor and then what they chose to watch.As much as I love my fellow Americans, I find us an amusing lot!
    Carlin C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home