Call this rain?

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

second and eight from the 24 yard line

Rather terrifingly, it is fourteen years since I saw U2 at Wembley at the height of their powers. The central conceit was a huge bank of video screens which, apart from playing rather obviously with the whole Leni Reifenstahl element of the very large pop concert in a post-modern ironic kind of a way (TM), also allowed Bono to flick through television channels in the moments when he wasn't phoning Bill Clinton or dressing up as Noel Coward playing an Irish Mephisopheles . All jolly clever and entertaining.

The first bit of channel hopping eventually alighted on some American Football which was left on with the terse summation, "oh, that'll do". I must confess that such was about my reaction to the game prior to my arrival here. I will leave, however, a convert. There is a tactical complexity and skill to the game that I hadn't appreciated, and more than any sport, even Rugby, there is that sense of the team as a body with at least half the side having roles which are essential but in the words of St Paul "unpresentable" and thus treated with "special honour" (defensive linemen know who they are).

This weekend the Seahawks managed to get themselves knocked out at the equivalent of the quarterfinal of the SuperBowl, playing away against a Chicago Bears side which was much stronger on paper. After being tonked there earlier in the season, the Seahawks took the game into extra time and had two very good chances to win the game before finally succumbing to a field goal. Towards the end found myself shouting the same sorts of abuse at Matt Hasselbeck, the Seahawks QB, for frankly inexplicable passing decisions that I used to shout at Andy Cole for his propensity to miss sitters from two yards out. At this point I realised I was a fan...

5 Comments:

  • Next year the NFL intend to play one game in London probably at Wembley.

    By Blogger Terry Hamblin, at 3:16 PM  

  • I found myself yelling at Matt at the end of the game also. I really didn't want the Bears to go forward. Looks like with injuries, they may have seen their last win.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 AM  

  • Dad

    Next year at Wembley? - that'll be in Cardiff then :)

    Jenny Lou

    Do you reckon the Saints will beat the Bears? - I would have thought they'd have a lot neutral support.

    who do you think will win the SB? - my sense is the Colts.

    By Blogger Exiled in mainstream, at 7:09 PM  

  • Oh dear little brother - you finally lost it! An American Football convert! Where do you find the time - at least with soccer its all over in 90 minutes, American Football lasts all day - especially with all those commercial breaks...

    By Blogger Kbards, at 1:28 PM  

  • Great work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home