Call this rain?

Monday, February 19, 2007

Feeling old

Saturday we went as a family with our friends Pat and Jennifer to a large family run Italian restaurant downtown. As ever trying to avoid driving wherever possible we took the bus. On leaving the ensuing downpour required a taxi back - but as too many of us the girls taxi-d and I wandered back to the bus stop.

Where I felt old. I got into conversation with a couple of quite charming guys who I guess were about 18 or so, and I realised that they really are a completely different generation to me. Their argot was very skater speak with "man" as much a verbal tick as "y'know" is for my generation. But two things stood out. The first was their complete expectation of I-Pods being the only way to listen to music. For them CDs were completely antiquated, which as I've only had a player in the last 7 years makes me feel extraordinarily old. Oddly though they were very approving of my preference for vinyl, but they looked on me almost as a curious anthropological exhibit. See Homo vinylus with his primitive electromechnical methods of reproducing sound.

The other thing on music was the fact that they talked about bands that I've never heard of. I suspect this is a good thing - after all venerating one's parents record collection leads to the collective horror that was Oasis. What is more worrying is the similarity between my tastes in music and the leader of the Conservative Party's - as a quick check of my profile will attest. I know we are roughly the same generation but there's something wrong about this somehow...

Ah well at least I never liked Pink Floyd!!

1 Comments:

  • The only David Cameron record I have ever heard of is Ernie. I hadn't realised you were in to Benny Hill.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home